The 44 new electric charging points will be installed at 18 council-owned car parks, and will be ready to use from February 2021.
Each charger will be a 22kW chargepoint powered by 100% renewable energy supplied by the Norwegian hydropower company, Statkraft.
Intended for visitors of town centres, the electric charging points will offer quick top-ups to ensure you can continue on your journey. However, vehicles can be fully charged which will take between two and four hours.
The installation and management costs of the charge points will be met by Joju Charging, an energy service provider, and their funding partners Gronn Kontakt, owned by Statkraft. In return, Dorset Council will receive a profit share generated by each chargepoint for the next 15 years.
Providing drivers with more chargepoints for their electric vehicles is an exciting step towards our commitment to becoming carbon-neutral.
It also helps make life easier for motorists who are seeking more environmentally friendly methods of travel.
With government plans to phase out sales of new petrol and diesel cars and vans by 2030, and more people seeking to go electric, now is the time to offer Dorset’s residents, businesses and visitors sustainable travel options.
Dorset Council has a key leadership role to play in tackling climate change and dealing with its consequences, but we do need private sector investment to help us achieve this.
Therefore, I am pleased we are working closely with Joju Charging and Gronn Kontakt to drive forward the use of electric vehicles in Dorset.Councillor Ray Bryan, Dorset Council
The intended installation sites for the charging points are:
- Langton Road, Blandford Forum, DT11 7DZ
- Fairfield long stay, Dorchester, DT1 1QW
- Wollaston Field, Dorchester, DT1 1EQ
- Gas Lane, Gillingham, SP8 4AT
- Holmbush, Lyme Regis, DT7 3HX
- Bell Street, Shaftesbury, SP7 8AP
- Coldharbour, Sherborne, DT9 4HA
- Old Market Yard, Sherborne, DT9 3HR
- Potters Wheel, Manor Way, Verwood, BH31 7AQ
- The Hub, Verwood, BH31 7QE
- Rempstone Centre, Wareham, BH20 4NX
- West Bay Road, West Bay, DT6 4EL
- Governor’s Lane, Weymouth, DT4 8DD
- Lodmoor, Weymouth, DT4 7SX
- Melcombe Regis, Weymouth, DT4 7DW
- Swannery, Weymouth, DT4 7TY
- King Street, Wimborne Minster, BH21 1EA
- Westfield Close, Wimborne Minster, BH21 1ES
The council also has plans to replace five existing rapid chargers in spring 2021 at the following car parks:
- East Street, Bridport, DT6 3LL
- Trinity Street, Dorchester, DT1 1AG
- Charmouth Road, Lyme Regis, DT7 3DR
- Harbourside, Weymouth, DT4 8NA
- Allenview West, Wimborne Minster, BH21 1AU
Submit a story